Moronic Monday 2018-01-01 @ /r/Flexibility

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by AutoModerator, Dec 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

1. driftwood89

driftwood89 New Member

Who knows some good ankle stretches?

2. screepatrol

screepatrol New Member

My gym does a weekly shoulder stretching class. It's VERY intense, and 1 hour.

Does stretching very intensely just once a week do anything for you? I do have a daily 10 minute shoulder routine, but I'm wondering if there's any point in one weekly intense session.

3. HarpsichordNightmare

Prolly should put it in the KB sub, but I saw this, so here we go

i'm supposed to pack the shoulders during the [Turkish Get-up]() (Retract and depress scap, I think). I struggle with maintaining this position overhead. I don't know if it's a flex/mobility issue, or something that just requires practice.

I had warmed-up with massaging the muscles around the scap, dead-hangs, alternating 1-arm deadhangs, scap rotations, band disclocates; as well as pec mobilisations; etc., etc.. But I'm struggling to get it. Maybe it's a matter of attention, or breaking-down the movements, but I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions. Cheers.x.

edit: I know that my lats are always tight. am getting a foam roller on Wednesday, hopefully.

4. today2day

today2day New Member

Okay I'm at a loss. How do I get a wider straddle?

I have both front splits. I have a flat butterfly and a really low frog stretch. I don't feel a stretch when I do inner thigh stretches. If someone pushes me I have a pancake otherwise I can get pretty low on it. I have strong legs and hips. I have a flexible back and shoulders. Every single stretch for middle splits I can do, and when I try the splits I'm less than a foot from the ground.

BUT when I try to literally open my legs wider I cannot do it. It's barely 90 degrees angle. I don't even feel a stretch they just won't open. Are my hips the stupid kind?

All I can think to do is really dig into the muscles to release them. But it's helps only a little.

5. eoininin

eoininin New Member

For some reason I am simply unable to feel a stretch in my hips when doing the classic lunge stretch. I make sure my core is tight and push with my glutes yet I still feel nothing. What could I be doing wrong?

6. abstracity

abstracity New Member

This might seem like a silly question, but what motivates you to stretch daily/frequently? I seem to go through phases where I will stretch every day, then stop for a period of time and continue to do so.

7. TheAdventMaster

TheAdventMaster New Member

How patient do I need to be?

I have *very* tight hamstrings (meaning prob. my calves, hips, glutes are tight also). Have tried to skirt around flexibility only to find out it's necessary for developing strength in healthy ways (ex: to not tear my hamstrings and glutes while trying to do jumps or deadlifts).

I'm used to being able to get into the groove of a new fitness routine in just a couple weeks. Seems like stretching measures progress in longer terms... a couple months.

Is that about right? I am already feeling the benefits from some slight stretches, but with tightness from recent hamstring injuries, I need some motivation to know there's light at the end of the tunnel... and how far the tunnel may be.

8. CertainKiwi

CertainKiwi New Member

Those of you that had hip rotation (internal / external) issues and had success working on it - what was the movement/stretch that had the most impact on your success?

Working through various articles and YouTube videos on hip rotation issues there are hundreds and hundreds of different methods (stretches, mobility exercises etc.) that people advocate. Working through the noise is an issue!

9. goodbotblipblip

goodbotblipblip New Member

Why is flexibility training not organized like weight training with sets x reps x intensity (% of Max ROM for example, if we could measure it in a sensible way). Whereas most of the flexibility training goes by breathing count?

PS: that has been my personal experience with Yoga and in gymnastics.

10. Baardhooft

Baardhooft New Member

I've posted in this sub a while ago about my issues with my hamstrings being tight. Not only did those feel tight, my calves and glutes did too. No amount of stretching did anything. None of the techniques shown really worked. However, a few days ago I discovered something which changed my stretching routine.

I was doing my normal stretches, lying on my back and pulling one leg straight towards me, sitting down and trying to bend forwards. As always I was struggling. This time I decided to use my resistance band and wrap it around my foot. I've done this before but usually without any result. This time however, I don't know why, but I applied some pressure on my foot away from my body. Basically pushing with my foot. At the same time I was pulling hard on the resistance band. Suddenly I felt my glutes release and my hamstrings as well. I instantly gained a lot of range and with some deep breaths I gained a bit more.

I tried doing some other stretches and notice that for example trying to tighten my glutes made it easier to stretch. I always thought the idea of stretching was about loosening up and letting everything go.

Either way, I'm going to keep doing this for my hamstring flexibility. I didn't find anything like this before in any videos or tutorials. Some mention or show pushing your whole leg away with a resistance band, but that doesn't do much for me. Just pushing with my foot however made such a big difference.

Either way, I'm rambling, but I hope this can help someone else.

11. ozzyos2009

ozzyos2009 New Member

Hello! Normally I stretch my whole body at once which can take a while to do (About an hour and a half to 2 hours) and do it about 3 times a week. I was thinking of splitting up certain muscle groups throughout the week just like when strength training in order to have shorter stretch sessions and I wanted to add some activation drills so my muscles can work through the new ROM (Which is something I haven't done and learned the importance of).

Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way?

12. jiven

jiven New Member

Can sets of quick stretches in the same position provide relatively similar results to merely holding a position for the same total duration? For example: holding a stretch for 3 minutes or doing 6 sets of 30 seconds in the same stretch. Anyone test both methods?

13. theswellmaker

theswellmaker New Member

Need some help fixing an extremely tight chest.

​

Long story short I've been battling upper back issues for close to two years now. After trying everything I realize that I need to open up my chest and drop my shoulders back. Anyone have some really good exercises and stretches for this?

14. killer__bunny

killer__bunny New Member

Hi guys! I'm trying to work on my backbends and am not sure how to progress. I can do wheel pose to an extent. But I don't know how to get more bend in my back and get my hands closer to my feet. Help!!

15. abodyweightquestion

abodyweightquestion New Member

I’m aiming to do pistol squats, but like many, I lack ankle mobility. This week I sat in a really deep squat with a few kilos worth of weights in my hands in front of me as counter balance.

Now my glutes ache. Is this because the muscles are unfamiliar with the movement, or is it just a bad idea?

16. unexplainedevents

unexplainedevents New Member

On an exercise like hanging leg raises I can’t physically lift my legs above just short of parallel. What causes this and how can I fix it?

17. VimaKadphises

VimaKadphises New Member

Backbend tips? I'm so bad at backbends. Finally can see some of my lower back muscles waking up, but that's about it.

18. Ribbit40

Ribbit40 New Member

I'm experience a lot of discomfort in the my ankles, when I do something kneeling (like a camel pose)- the problem is resistance to me feet sitting straight on the ground. Then soreness the next day. Is this just a beginner thing to work through?

19. horatio_jr

horatio_jr New Member

I do the starting stretching that is recommended here. That said is there any additional benefit to me doing misc stretches that I see on you tube. I will not do them routinely or often. Just i see it and want to do it. I know it won't hurt but will they add to the starting stretching? Or no extra benefit?

Thanks

20. DummyGladiator

DummyGladiator New Member

Just got into doing stretches, would it be enough for someone to just do the Starting to stretch video to be able to do a pancake/ touch-toe moves?