Moronic Monday 2018-01-01 @ /r/Flexibility

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by AutoModerator, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Maddoxx69

Maddoxx69 New Member

Will increasing my flexibility relieve or reduce posture problems? (kyphosis, lordosis, scaoular winging)

2. abodyweightquestion

abodyweightquestion New Member

I’d love to be able to do a pigeon pose. But it’s a LOOOOONG way off.

At the moment, I’m doing wall figure 4 stretches, [this thing]() and an elevated pigeon (leg bent in front of me on a raised surface), leg behind me, squaring my hips for the stretch.

Moronic question: will this, one day, lead to a full pigeon, and are there any other tips I should be doing?

3. Sgnir20

Sgnir20 New Member

Which are the sports which require having or training a lot of flexibility?

4. MrClahn

MrClahn New Member

I've struggled with a knee injury for about a year now, and today was told by a physio that it might be because, as they put it, my "leg muscles are so toned that they don't really relax, even when lying down"

I'm reasonably flexible, after doing daily stretches for the lower half of the body for most of the past year. Trying to rehab the knee and more recently correct my lordosis. I'm wondering if it's worth doing more flexibility work (currently 15-20 min a day) to try and help the muscles relax.

5. Exostrike

Exostrike New Member

I cycle 16 miles a day during the week and lift 4 times a week, is it normal to have to stretch my quads, hamstrings, calfs and glutes at least once a day?

6. Hakmad

Hakmad New Member

tl;dr - is being flexible a 'make you' shorter?

tl;ra - I've been doing Karate since I was about 8. One of the main stretches that we have always done (or I have) is to sit down, feet out in front, stretch down to our toes, chest to knee, and then the same thing with the individual legs (take the other leg, push it behind to make an L shape (or reverse L)). Now I've always put a lot of effort into Karate (or so I like to think), and so now, at age 16, I can, standing up, knees straight, stretch down, put my hands flat on the floor, lift my fingers so that the heels of my palms are right in front of my toes, and still be able to bend my elbows a fair amount. And it doesn't hurt. Mostly. But when I look around at my peers (who aren't half as flexible as I am, or been doing Karate for as long as I have), I always have to look up. Why? Well, they're all 5' 8" or taller (mostly taller), while I'm still stalling at 5' 5". And before you say it, I know: I'm still 16, I have till about 22 till my growth plates close, and that flexibility can't be the only factor at work here. I know. I'm taller than both my parents (not by much, but still taller) so genetics will have something to say here and I also have anterior pelvic tilt which could be taking off a potential 2.5". I know. But I haven't grown since 14, I've stalled at this, well, shit height of 5' 5". And it's kind of depressing.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, whether that be being fairly flexible, having APT, doing Karate, or just generally, being short, please feel free to discuss in this thread. I also don't mean to [flex](/r/flexibility) on y'all with my ability to put my palms on the floor, I'm just saying it how it is.

...I'll see myself out.

7. resolvetochange

resolvetochange New Member

I hurt my back lifting an old washing machine to put it on a dump trailer last Monday. I took it easy for a few days until the weekend and then started stretching again. But it's still bothering me and is getting in the way of my working out / stretching.

Where it hurts: my spine under my shoulder blades, a little on the right side.

When: I feel it doing seated twists and when I look down (neck bent forward).

It's hurt for a week now although it's gotten a bit better. What did I hurt and should I be concerned?

8. horatio_jr

horatio_jr New Member

does straight legs mean your knees are locked?

9. puppylish1028

puppylish1028 New Member

Am I supposed to squeeze my butt during the splits and low lunge?

I read somewhere here that if your glutes aren’t sore after working a split, you’re doing it wrong. That’s why I ask

10. horatio_jr

horatio_jr New Member

do i lock my elbows or knees when i am supposed to have them straight?

11. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member

[pose](https://i.imgur.com/oQhDXa7.jpg)

Probably the first question of many more to come as I've reached the breaking point of stiffness and pain. Working on it with a therapist, but that only goes so far :)

In the pose above - what exactly is stiff here? Is that my illiopsoas or just the buttocks still? Both which are stiff...to say the least. Photo is taken with straight back, tailbone to the floor. With force I can press the knee down but it puts up a fight.

Also, other than this pose, what would be a good (daily?) post work stretch to ease into for this?

Thank you in advance :)

Lastly, the other way around I get the knee to the ground, so there is a definite disbalance as well.

Edit: looks like frog pose helps for this?

12. extremeaxe5

extremeaxe5 New Member

Where can I go to figure out which of my muscles are "unnaturally tight"? I feel like there probably are a few of those in my body, and I'd like to target them with stretched, but I'm not sure where I can find out something like this.

13. Boilerbunch

Boilerbunch New Member

Training splits hurts the hell out of my hips, can anyone point me out on what im doing wrong?

14. Ribbit40

Ribbit40 New Member

Does the pancake stretch the same thing as the pike?

15. LGPlatinum

LGPlatinum New Member

Should I use all techniques at once (not even during same session, but in a week)? Like, the best gains are made by working on both sides of a joint, but... Should I use all, loaded stretching, pnf, isometric, passive static... At the same time, or mabe staric active, dynamic active, moving through rom, full rom, end rom... All at the same time?

The question is whether I should stick to one method, combine them, or periodize methods (moving from less to more advanced tecnhiques as I improve)?

I want to stick to pnf and static stretching, training antagonist muscles at end rom during regular strength training exercises. The thing is that I used loaded mobility till now and jt feels unnatural to abandon it.

Maybe all stretching techniques at once targeting one goal at a time?

Thanks.

16. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member

Probably the first question of many more to come as I've reached the breaking point of stiffness and pain. Working on it with a therapist, but that only goes so far :)

In the pose above - what exactly is stiff here? Is that my illiopsoas or just the buttocks still? Both which are stiff...to say the least. Photo is taken with straight back, tailbone to the floor. With force I can press the knee down but it puts up a fight.

Also, other than this pose, what would be a good (daily?) post work stretch to ease into for this?

Lastly, the other way around I get the knee to the ground, so there is a definite disbalance as well.

17. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member

18. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member

19. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member

20. Bytonia

Bytonia New Member