Relax Muscle of the jaw?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by 9acca9, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 9acca9

9acca9 New Member

Hi to all.

This is not "relax" reddit.... but, i think that maybe it's related. Hi have this issue with the temporo mandibular joint, and want to work with that, maybe somebody here, can give me a hand.

I read sometime that, for example, there is a relation between muscle of the jaw and hips.

My hips are allways tight, so maybe is because my jaw is allways tight to?? well i dont know...

but somebody can give me some instruccion to relax those muscles?? or the muscles related??

​

thanks to all, i dont speak english, so sorry for the explanation so poor.

2. yesprosim

yesprosim New Member

I have tmjd too. These two yoga with Adrienne vids help me. [yoga for neck and shoulders]() [yoga for text neck]()

Many muscles of the neck and shoulders and connected to face/jaw so stretching those is very helpful. Also - myofascia massage of your face: [one example.]() there are loads of these vids on YouTube.

I notice that for myself the front/side of the neck (SCM I think?) gets reeeeeeally tight without feeling hard/knitted but when I stretch it it gives me tons of relief. I can’t seem to find a video for this but to stretch it, I do soft neck circles but then stop on the way down and bring my chin down toward shoulder - feeling a deep stretch in the front opposite side of the neck and a bit in the trap - then continue circles and hit other side - repeat several times. This is the #1 stretch that helps with my tmj so sorry I can’t seem to find a link and hope my description makes sense so you can try it :)

3. attackoftheack

attackoftheack New Member

To round out the conversation, I have not seen anyone discuss the deep neck flexors and the relationship they have on neck strain and the jaw AS WELL AS the diaphragm. So basically, tense jaw = not breathing properly. Not breathing properly = systemic tension.

I can't tell you where your problems starts or ends nor am I trying to get into the nitty gritty details that a good practioner can if they get their hands on you. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. A lot has been mentioned about the hips but I'd argue it's actually the diaphragm malfunctioning/dysfunction/compensation that what's the issue in the first place... Well that and sitting. Although I would have to read the entire hip argument to know the prospective that others are coming from.

TLDR: There are always stretches for everything. With that said, stretching to stretch is pretty pointless. Diagnosing a problematic area, stretching surrounding tissue, strengthening weak muscles, and then integrating the proper movement pattern is the only thing that really provides lasting change and relief. One is temporary relief, the other is relearning how to move properly. You have to erase the bad program on the computer and not just defrag it every time the program makes the computer run haywire.

4. merdie801

merdie801 New Member

I’m a dental hygienist and I recommend my patients a hot washcloth a few times a day, ibuprofen, and trying to reduce stress in general.

I have tmj issues that flare up from time to time and this is what I do. Also taking some face oil and doing a massage around the masseter. If it’s really severe, you could ask for a mild muscle relaxer from your dentist and some now are getting trained to do Botox in that area to weaken it. Hope this helped!

5. AlfLives

AlfLives New Member

Do you grind your teeth? I checked with my dentist about my jaw muscle soreness and he looked at my teeth and identified wear from grinding in about 3 seconds. I got some plastic moulded for my bottom teeth and wear it while sleeping. Jaw pain lessened significantly and the guard had scratches in it after the first night.

For me, the grinding was stress induced. I quit my second job (15 hr/wk on top of 50 hr/wk) and I stopped grinding after a couple weeks.

6. Bigbadmass

Bigbadmass New Member

Hope I'm not too late to pitch in, I'm a dentist myself and we see this often.

To answer part of your question, there's unfortunately been no scientifically proven link between the hips and the jaw muscles. It could be linked to many things like stress, posture or parafunction (bad movement habits)

I'll post a link to a really good information leaflet published by Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust. I'd definitely recommend giving it a read! If you have any further questions feel free to ask :)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&a...egQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3iMdWurwjMHEkzu6cKvyHT

7. attackoftheack

attackoftheack New Member

Sorry. It's cervical retraction with extension not flexion. Flexion would be exactly what you thought the exercise was, tucking the chin down NOT back (which as you notice, actually pulls the chin back and up).

All your other points make sense but not from the perspective that you're missing what extension is and that you're actually achieving extension through cervical retraction. You may not be in FULL EXTENSION like looking up but at the most basic point your logic is flawed. It's an retraction and extension exercise (tucking the chin back and moving from a more flexed position to a less flexed position is extension) not a retraction and flexion exercise (tucking the chin back and down). Yes of course it stretches the back of the neck, as would cervical flexion (looking down). That's not indicative of flexion or extension.

So in short, what you think of flexion and extension is inaccurate and not how the medical world uses the terminology. You view extension as being in complete extension. That's not realistic. All of us will naturally have different end ranges of motion - that's why they don't out some bench mark on flexion or extension that says you have to be past X degrees for it to qualify as extension or flexion.

In it's most simplistic terms, flexion means going towards the midline. Extension means going away from the midline.

I agree there are other exercises that require more cervical extension like looking up. How I would recommend to perform the chin tuck is a variation of what I linked (although I didn't view them all so it may actually be included). I would recommend packing the chin back and then moving through all planes of motion by actually rolling the neck in circular motions focusing on areas of tightness and pain. The most important step is to EXTEND the neck from it's flexed position by aligning it properly through moving out of the forward head posture AND THEN strengthening the neck in all planes of motion.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a dysfunctional body here. One that naturally rests in flexion and that needs to be moved not to extension but to NEUTRAL. We accomplish this through strengthening the extensors, just as I mentioned.